Now days, WordPress websites are increasingly becoming the target for hackers. The hackers take advantage of out-of-date plugins and weak passwords. As some people might know, all the websites on one of my hosts (not One.com) was subject to attack and it took a lot of time and effort to correct and protect them.
Some host may already be implementing security features so there may be a lower risk. However, I still wanted to make you aware of this situation.
There are a few things that can be done to prevent these attacks, they are:
- Make sure you have strong passwords. Even though passwords are a pain to remember, however, it pays to make them strong. Most of all if you need to write passwords down please keep them safe.
Tip: Use a couple of symbols $#@ or numbers instead of a letter or think up a 4 digit code that has upper case letter, lower case letter, number and symbol that can be prefixed onto a rememberable word e.g. 5@rABTphone for my BT Phone log in, then, in theory, I might write down the BTphone part of the password in a secure place and remember the 4 digit code.
- Make sure WordPress and your WordPress plugins are up to date. This can be done in many ways:
- Log in to your website and manually update your plugins regularly. Please make sure you have an up-to-date backup so it can be restored if there are any problems with the updated plugins. A chargeable one-to-one tutorial can be provided on request.
- Pay extra for Managed Hosting if it is available from your hosting provider. They then take the responsibility for keeping your website up to date, safe and operational. Read their small print first.
- Consider the services provided by Shebear Technology, Monthly Maintenance package or the Update Service. The Monthly Maintenance Service includes registering your website with WordFence which is a very secure protection facility, that can be used to monitor and protect your website.
I hope this information has been useful. Unfortunately, gone are the days when we can just leave our website alone, they now need on-going protection and monitoring. I look forward to a new era when things will be safe and respected.
As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Love and light,